Saturday 27 January 2018

First Proper Walk of 2018

It wasn't meant to be the first proper walk, but the flu has taken its toll and so today was the first time I have managed to get out. Even then it was only a little under 4 miles, but was definitely better than nothing. And I got to wear my shiny new jacket and sweat shirt 😊



So the walk - Muker to Swinnergill, which is about half way to Keld - and back of course. As usual, I parked the car along the side of the road in Muker. The weather wasn't up to much and the clouds were quite low and blowing along the dale from the west - or so it seemed. The big benefit of the weather being poor is that there was virtually no-one else about. I met a farmer-ess (can I call her that?) on a quad and a bit later, a couple with a dog. The couple obviously wan't feeling sociable because they didn't acknowledge me at all, let alone return my 'good afternoon'. Oh well, maybe they also thought they would have the Dale to themselves.

The first stretch, once you get off the road, is through the meadows. At this time of year, they are nothing to write home about - they just look like any other fields. But in the late spring, they are amazing! There are seven to cross, with walls and 'squeeze stiles' between each. Not sure who named them 'squeeze stiles', but Wainwright's name comes to mind. I could be wrong though. Anyway, they are aptly named - the larger you are, the more you have to 'squeeze' to get through. And that applies to being short and carrying a backpack too!




After a very short detour to get a picture of the Rampsholme Bridge from a different angle from usual,



the first surprise was something missing. I was actually past it before I even realised! The first thing I noticed was the piles of soil, indicating someone had been busy with a digger. After that, I realised that the digger had obviously been clearing the ditch. And then I noticed - the huge puddle that I usually encounter on the first bend after the bridge was actually not there any more. I even went back to take pictures, I was so surprised. They (whoever 'they' might be) had not only cleared the ditch either side of the track, they had tunnelled under the track, supported their tunnelling with rocks at the entry and exit points and the water was actually running under the path instead of across it.





While I was taking pictures, a farmer (female) on a quad bike came by. I stepped to one side to let her pass and she said hello. About a minute later, I was mobbed! About 100 sheep were following the bike, trying in vain to keep up with it.


They were followed by a Texel ram who looked none to friendly, so I gave him a wide berth. He was looking after his harem no doubt and I didn't want to mess with him. The wives, though, were quite docile




After successfully navigating my way through the sheep hazard, I continued along the track towards Swinnergill. This was where I met the somewhat unsociable couple and their dog. But they were the only people I met all day - I did see two or three couples on the other side of the river, but they were a long way away.

There was a huge digger and dumper truck later on too - no idea what they were actually working on (well, actually, nothing today as they had no drivers).




There is a tree along the stretch after the digger that I thought it might be good to photograph every month to catalogue the passing of the seasons. It's an old (very old by the look of it) hawthorn bush that has grown to small tree proportions. The two photos are of two different trees




It wasn't long after the tree that I noticed a large number of vehicles parked on a field near the river. I have never see that particular area used as a car park before, but it was clear from the noise what they were there for - they were shooting in the nearby woods and fields, but on the opposite side of the river. I have no idea how they cross the river - I've walked that way many times, yet haven't seen where the crossing is at that point.





The waterfall was not as full as I expected. Parts of it were gushing, but often when there has been a lot of rain or a snow melt, the whole width of the falls is rushing with water - not the case today.





This was a lead mining area in the past and there are still plenty of signs of former buildings/workings to prove the point. The building at Swinnergill is completely collapsed, but there are still a couple of features showing that it had once been used for something to do with the mining operation.


I left the buildings and set off back towards Muker, forst crossing the small wooden briger that spans the gill



The walk back seemed to take no time at all, but I did take some pictures of the field barns that proliferate in this region




And one of Rampsholme Bridge from the opposite side


Back in the village, there is another barn (not a field barn this time, because it's not in a field), with red doors; it's probably one of the most photographed barns in Swaledale


And finally, I managed to get a photo of the phone box - minus the usual clutter and no vehicles in the way



The whole walk only took a couple of hours, but it was enough. This flu has been a real nightmare and is taking far to long to recover from unfortunately. But hopefully back on track now - particularly tracks in the Dales 😉


2 comments:

  1. Were you wearing your badge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was indeed - it was pinned to my hat which was black, so the orange badge stood out well. But I only met three people altogether, so obviously no other 'badgers'

      Delete